How to Drive More Traffic and Increase Sales on Your eCommerce Website
Running an ecommerce store is anything but easy!
The objective is, however simple, to project a product, allure the buyers to make a purchase and process the payment.
So, have you set up an eCommerce store? But is just setting up an eCommerce store enough?
If you think you can easily squeeze every drop of profit out from the online venture without proper website optimization and the use of correct customer engagement strategies, you are wrong again. You need to understand which sales channel will prove profitable and which won’t. You would be required to constantly test and refine the marketing strategy to suit your business and enhance the customer engagement.
You have to be pretty clear about ways to drive more traffic.
Before we get into the very basics of sharing amazing ways to drive more traffic and increase the sales, let us first understand the importance of website traffic.
Why is website traffic so important for eCommerce business?
If your online business is not attracting the visitors, your site is definitely going to get lost in the vast universe of the internet, without the possibility of getting found. Traffic is the vital fluid for your website’s well being. Even if the site is well built, content rich and carries an appealing UI, if you are not attracting the traffic (visitors), you won’t be generating any sales or achieving the strategic goals for your business.
Many of the website designers from Magento 2 theme development agency focus on flashy stuff and forget that the website is meant for the people. No matter how amazing or content-rich website or an online business you save, it will not survive without the steady traffic flow.
Here are the three main reasons to consider:
- To generate more revenue, you need to generate more targeted traffic
- Traffic generated from the targeted users or the customers who are willing to purchase or promote the product are more likely to stay and refer your website to many others
- The amount of time person spends on your website, increases the likelihood to receive the promotional content or sign up for your newsletter, thereby allowing long-term association and fan following
How to drive traffic to your online store and boost ecommerce sales
Many entrepreneurs and digital marketers are constantly looking for fresh ways to drive traffic and increase sales for your eCommerce website.
With this in mind, let me introduce to you 5 solid tips to increase ecommerce sales and boost the traffic.
1. Simplified Checkout process
According to Joanna Wiebe, “Think of every field in your checkout as a hurdle your prospect has to leap over. Then ask yourself if it’s worth the possibility of losing a sale — or thousands of sales — because you want to fill a database.”
You are required to make the checkout process a lot simple.
- Consider removing the requirement for the sign up. You can provide the ‘checkout as guest’, thereby softening the checkout procedure.
- Surprisingly, an organization managed to achieve $300,000,000 rise in sales by removing the signup requirement.
- You can make the check out procedure a lot simpler by reducing the form fields which a probable customer is required to fill.
- While a customer is filling out the delivery details, you can provide the option of allowing the customer to use the same as billing address.
- Not only this, you can also add a drop down box, where a customer can select the address just by entering the zip code.
2. eCommerce Email Marketing
Ecommerce email marketing is the art and science of using email to generate sales for your store.
The technique could be as simple as sending an email to a group of people who have left the products in the shopping cart. Or complex, like starting a number of a campaign that aims at exponentially multiplying the sales.
Remember, email marketing is about building relationships.
And if you approach the probie customers with this perspective, you’ll be able to:
- Create better promotions that sell more product.
- Nurture your subscribers better, thereby ensuring more long term sales.
- Segment the database more effectively, which will further generate more sales.
You can approach email marketing for ecommerce by two ways:
a) Marketing to a list that you already have
b) Creating a new list (If not having any)
If you are having an email list, you can create amazing giveaway that includes the product from your website.
Giveaways tend to work when you run the right kind of traffic to them.
However, if you lack an email list, it is advised that you focus on creating the list first. You can easily run some paid traffic to a page where people can opt to your email list.
Consider sending weekly emails after you have witnessed a purchase. Feel free to promote complementary products.
You can also use email marketing to promote the seasonal events like Valentine’s day, Thanksgiving, Father’s day, etc.
3. Facebook Ads
Facebook Ads are a great way to generate traffic and promote sales for your ecommerce business.
With comparatively lower CPC or Cost Per Clicks than its competitors display ads and Google search, Facebook ads can effortless bring reliable leads and eventually sales to your site.
Consider the following tips for getting benefitted by Facebook ads:
- Drive the traffic to collection and content pages by using acquisition campaigns. Remember to cookie such visitors to ensure remarketing.
- Retarget the visitors by using dynamic product ads. Use them to target the visitors who add products to the cart but don’t check out and to those who visit the product pages.
- Show varied products from the best selling collections by using carousel ads.
- Video content and emojis to be used to capture the attention over timeline feed of Facebook. A/B test different ad placement for better ROI on campaign spends.
- If your Facebook advertisements are not bringing the desired result, it is advised that you hire an expert.
4. Get Support from Friends and Family
Almost all of your Facebook friends are either posting baby pictures or a selfie with their wives or girlfriends.
Are you not sick of it?
Majority of the people are annoyed by looking at those photographs, nothing new and nothing exciting. However, you can easily get away with sharing the information about your ecommerce store.
- You hardly see anyone launching a business online. Starting an online store might turn out to be a new hype within your friends and family circle.
- Reach out to the friends and family in a targeted way. Inform them about the new launches. Keep them engaged and you’ll succeed without irritating them.
- You can send them the note on Facebook or WhatsApp chat groups asking to like, share and promote the social pages.
- Rather than asking them to buy your products, you can offer your products for free. Don’t forget that they are your friends and family.
- Ask them to share the information about the store, offers, and deals, safe deliveries, etc with their networks. Politely ask them to indulge in Word of Mouth marketing. You will have a better success rate than reaching out to strangers.
5. Competitions & Giveaways
Competitions and Giveaways are one of the premier sources to increase the overall traffic and sales of an eCommerce website.
- Utilizing these as promotional tactics, you can easily acquire the new customers and engage the existing customers.
- The flexible nature enables the online retailers to love this source of sales generation. You are free to spend as little or as much as you want, both on the marketing efforts as well as the prize.
- When done right, they can reap serious rewards.
- There is another benefit attached beyond the buzzing event. These tactics help in capturing the vital consumer data including demographics, email addresses, etc. It can serve as groundwork for developing a strong client-retailer relationship and extensive customer base.
6. Leverage Instagram and Reddit
Many online marketing businesses including ecommerce retailers prefer social media as one of the best ways to reach out to the customers.
It offers measurable impact on the customer purchases.
There are various ways an ecommerce business can leverage social media to their advantage.
Let’s consider Instagram for example.
- Instagram has recently grown to 500 million monthly active users. Out of these, around 300 million users are the active followers who visit the platform every day.
- It is also estimated that 68% of Instagram followers engage regularly with brands.
- As users are in buying mindset, Instagram ecommerce can offer amazing ROI to your business. It is believed that the average order value from Instagram is $65. Considering that you have around 2000 followers, you could earn.
- The average value of an order from Instagram is $65. If you’ve got more than 1000 followers on your account, you could earn £8,320 a year, by promoting brands. With that said, you can always boost your Instagram sales with content and user-generated contests.
- As per Forrester’s research, consumers are 58x more likely to engage with branded content on Instagram compared to Facebook and 120x more likely compared to Twitter.
Yeah, you have guessed it right.
It may just be one of the most difficult social networks to get a hold of but if is used the right way, it can be totally worth.
- With the system of sub reddits, Reddit platform uses dedicated niches with the dedicated users who are very passionate their respective topics.
- Before you are able to make people to sit and listen to what you have to say, you have to establish yourself as an expert in the niches related to ecommerce business.
- Keep in mind, Reddit community is highly, protective. Never do blatant advertising. Period.
Key is-toSpending around 1 hour a week discussing and having fun on Reddit. The promotional posts should be spaced out by a couple of weeks. However, do remember to the poIf you have already used any of st the stuff regularly.
7. Use SEO Techniques to organic Increase Traffic to your Ecommerce Store
SEO techniques help you increase the traffic to your ecommerce store.
A few of the techniques are here.
- Backlinks! The backlinks which a website processes gives you a domain score out of 100, it is called Domain Rank. The domain rank ascertains your website rank in Google search result for specific keywords. IT also determines how much web traffic you get.
- However to get the required backlinks and rank on top of google search listings, you are required to cover a lot more than just backlink building. Discuss with your professional seo experts to develop powerful backlink building strategy
- SEO-rich content plays a pivotal role in determining the success in gaining organic traffic and increasing sales.
- Use of high ranking keywords is the key. Include the keywords while listing the product category and merchant content.
- Maintaining a Blog, wherein quality content with rich keywords, meta tags, title, subtitles and description is very essential for the promotion and growth of your ecommerce website.
8. Generate More Product Reviews:
As per the online magazine Internet Retailer, you can increase the conversion rate by 14-67% by adding product reviews.
And here are two reasons, for the same:
- First, SEO: Product reviews increase content and also adds on to increasing the probability of hitting long tail keywords.
- Second, Social Proof: Product reviews are best testimonials one can have. You get the accurate idea about the product from the people who are using it. Thereby, encouraging many to make a purchase.
For both these obvious reasons, product reviews increase sales.
Hopefully, after reading this article, you’re probably going to consider the above mentioned tips to boost the sales and drive genuine traffic. Whatever tip you utilize, its success will depend upon understanding your customers well before you start implementing these tactics
If you have already used any of these tactics to boost sales, let us know which one has worked for you. Don’t forget to share your thoughts, beliefs and feedbacks in the comment section below.